Thursday, October 06, 2005

Titus 3:9
"But avoid FOOLISH controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law because these are unprofitable and USELESS."

1 Timothy 1: 6-7
"Some have wandered away from these and turned to meaningless talk. They want to be teachers of the law, but they do not know what they are talking about or what they so confidently affirm."

Next question
*What then are some examples of foolish controversies.................

According to Martyn Lloyd-Jones (what is an evangelical?) some secondary issues we the church fill the space with....
1. election vs. pre-destination
2. age and mode of baptism
3. church polity
4. prophetic interpretation (pre, post, a, mill...)
5. baptism of the Holy Spirit and carismata or spiritual gifts

----I have a few I would add to this list from our modern day-----

Lloyd-Jones has a conviction on these things (and so should we) but he will not use these things as a touchstone for evangelical orthodoxy.

Don't give into foolish arguments about these things.
Don't get involved in areas that are disruptive and not helpful.
Intriging but not edifying.
Don't engage in pety wars over things of little importance.
Mysteries which belong to God alone....let us leave be.

Next question..
What then is profitable buisness for the Christian?

LOVE, DO GOOD and UPHOLD THE WORD

Here are some questions that are the reverse of foolish......

Do I believe in the Lord Jesus Christ?
Is my mind being renewed by the Spirit?
Am I walking not after the flesh but after the Spirit?
Am I growing in grace?
Does my behavior adorn the doctrine of God my Savior?
Am I looking for the coming of the Lord and watching as a servant should do who expects their master?
What more can I do?

These are the issues that demand our urgent attention!!!
Let us spend our time thinking on these things.


Psalm 138:2
For you have exalted ABOVE ALL THINGS your NAME and your WORD.

Isaiah 66:2
This is the one I esteem: he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word.